Discovering Locorotondo, in the heart of Itria Valley, near Gallipoli
Locorotondo is listed as one of most beautiful hamlets in Italy.
PLACES TO VISIT
Locorotondo’s heritage includes the Mother Church of “St. George the Martyr”, built between 1769 and 1821 and including 14th century basreliefs; the church of “San Rocco”, the Romanesque church of “Our Lady of Greece”. The beauty of the historic centre is also represented by a labyrinth of white alleys, jealously guarded by their inhabitants. The houses end with the unusual pitched roofs called “cummerse”, a feature typical of the historical centre of Locorotondo.
The Locorotondo countryside is an example of an area of dispersed settlements (jazzelere) and has an abundance of trulli dwellings which were built around a communal area called “jazzile”. This settlement pattern is due in large part to emphyteutic leases, particularly in the 19th century for the development of vineyards.
Agricultural is still the leading activity in the local economy: the vine includes varieties Bianco d’Alessano and Verdeca, providing the raw material for the white DOC Locorotondo wine.